The GLOBAL MAP OF SMOKEFREE LAWS give an overview of the smokefree status of the vast majority of countries that have ratified the FCTC. For each country some or all of the following information is included:
* An overview of smokefree legislation and smokefree initiatives, in particular any plans for implementing Article 8
* Smokefree resources available in 2009 – tobacco control groups, help from NGOs, websites
* Examples of public education materials/implementation or enforcement materials
* Any needs related to implementing smokefree policies
* Any factors that are helping or hindering the implementation of Article 8
* Other countries that have influenced smokefree laws
The information was provided by contacts worldwide in response to e-mail questionnaires sent between 26 January and 27 February 2009. Many respondents sent examples of smokefree resources, ranging from campaign materials to copies of legislation.