Quitting smoking is just about the best thing you can do for your health. Countless studies have shown smoking can lead to serious health problems, not only for the smoker, but also for non-smokers breathing secondhand smoke. It’s never too late to quit, and if you want to call yourself a non-smoker like some of these celebs, here are some tips to help make it happen.
1. Think of a powerful and specific reason you want to quit. Something that’s as important as wanting to avoid having your family visit you in the hospital because you have lung cancer will be strong enough to outweigh your craving to light up.
2. Don’t try quitting cold turkey. Stats show that 95 percent of people who quit without therapy or medication end up going back to their old ways. So ween yourself off of nicotine slowly. Use nicotine gum or patches to minimize the overwhelming symptoms of withdrawal that include depression, restlessness, and anger.
3. Get rid of the evidence. Once you decide to quit, get rid of your secret cigarette stash, lighters, and ashtrays. Wash all your clothes, curtains, blankets, and anything else that smells like smoke. Use air fresheners in your home or car, because the slightest smell may make you relapse.
To see the other tips, read more.
4. Avoid triggers that make you want to light up. Drinking, hanging out with fellow smokers, and stress are common triggers that boost your urge to smoke. So know what sets you off and avoid it at all costs.
5. Have a support group to lean on. If your family, friends, and co-workers know you’re trying to quit, they can encourage you to stick with it. Joining a support group with other people trying to quit can also up your chances for success.
6. Fill up on fruits, veggies, and lowfat dairy products. A Duke University study shows these foods make cigarettes taste terrible.
7. Exercise. Working out can curb nicotine cravings, so keep up with a regular exercise routine. It’ll also help prevent weight gain while trying to quit.
8. Don’t give up. It’s common for a person to quit smoking several times before they quit for good. So keep trying until you can call yourself a non-smoker.
Copyright © Fitsugar